Mountains

Mountains
Climb any mountain

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Jesus Take The Wheel

You hear it, but do you believe it? The phrase Jesus Take The Wheel, came to mind as I think of the events of the last 12 months. My husband and I were living in a beautiful condo in Fort McMurray. Off to work he goes, Red Deer bound. We had every intention of moving to Edmonton in July. That is silly to be living apart, I thought. "Why don't we buy a place in Red Deer?" So I finished work at St Paul School and met Paul on June 30th.
Jesus has taken our wheel and steered us to Red Deer.
About a week into our stay at Westerner Park I heard about Westerner Days BBQ being held at Living Stones Church. I decided I wanted to help out so I went over and volunteered! What an awesome day! I made some new friends and decided that Living Stones would be my new church.
Jesus had taken the wheel and led me right to my new church family.
We were looking for a house daily, realtors didn't seem to quite get what we were looking for. One day our friend came home from work and showed us an ad on KIJIJI, "this house would be perfect! Paul and I could live upstairs and David would live in the three bedroom, den, wet bar and full bathroom,  walk out basement. We called and were disappointed to hear there was a deal in place.
"If that deal fall through let me know" I said to Wayne. The very next morning Wayne called back "The deal fell through, he would not give me my asking price." "What were you asking?" when he told me the amount I conferred with the boys and we agreed to offer what he was asking. "The house is yours!" As easy as that Jesus took the wheel again and in only 18 days we closed the deal for our Dream Home.
About a week after we moved into our new home I was coming home from running errands and Jesus took the wheel again... I turned on 55th street instead of 50th. No big deal, I get lost all the time. I looked for a place to turn around, I pulled into a retreat looking business called Shalom Counselling Services. I am here might as well go in and see if they are looking for counsellors. Jesus was guiding my steps. As I climbed the stairs, the door opened and a very nice lady said "Good morning". I said good morning and thanked her for holding the door. When I came out after speaking to the receptionist, Sylvia was still standing outside. Waiting for her daughter to pick her up. She asked about my dog who was waiting patiently in the car and we chatted while she waited for her ride. I felt very comfortable chatting with Sylvia and she with me.
"Do you know any jokes? I love a good joke!" Sylvia beamed.
I thought carefully, I just met Sylvia I certainly didn't want to offend her. I told her my Polar Bear joke. She laughed and said "I have one for you too but my daughter is here so I have to go. Give me your phone number and I will call you and tell you my joke!" I never thought twice, I scribbled my number on a scrap of paper and wished Sylvia a great day and waved goodbye.
I went home to see my family in Quebec for two weeks just days later. Upon my return, Paul said "You might want to check the machine, a lady has been calling you." To my joy it was Sylvia. Sylvia invited me to join her for ladies breakfast at her church. What a lovely event, Tuesday morning breakfast and working to make baby bundles for the orphanage in Zambia.
The best wrong turn I ever made was Jesus leading me to Sylvia. To my surprise, I found out Sylvia celebrated her 80th birthday on September 28th. She is such a blessing and we are kindered spirits.
Come October, I was gaining clients and substitute teaching. Paul was busy at work, things were coming together and we were enjoying our new house, new neighbourhood and new city.
David found love and got married in December. Newlyweds need their own space, they moved to Calgary. David found having two mortgages not feasible, so in January he told us he wanted out of our house deal.
What to do now, this house was perfect for two families but with just us it was way too big. We decided to sell and again Jesus took the wheel. 9 days after I put the ad up on KIJIJI, again, it was SOLD. We close May 1st.
Paul and I looked for a new property but always came up short. We had such a specific list of needs and wants everything seemed to pale in comparison.
Jesus must have been talking in Paul's heart... one day he came home and said "what about buying an RV and a truck and doing the shutdown circuit for the summer? Then you have an extra 6 months to find our next house." That sounded wonderful to me cause I was almost at my wits end trying to find a house.
On Thursday Sylvia took me to lunch at Albert's, soup and a wrap, one of our favourite lunches. As we were eating she said "it's time... I have to tell you my joke." All the time we had spent together and chatting on the phone she had yet to tell me her joke. I don't think I wanted to hear it, I wanted it to remain a mystery so I would always have something I needed from her. She looked excited to tell me so with a pang in my heart I let her tell me her joke. It was good, I laughed and we carried on with our lunch. I will miss Sylvia, but I will keep in touch with her, we are kindered spirits after all.
As I sit here typing this, I thank Jesus for taking the wheel, my wonderful husband is working a job he loves; my puppies are snoring and I am listening to classic songs on the radio. Life is good in the RV in Northern Alberta.
Our time in Red Deer did not go at all like we planned but obviously Jesus had different plans for us. I am thankful that I was smart enough to let him take the wheel and steer us to exactly where we need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post on 4healingheartsandminds