Mountains

Mountains
Climb any mountain

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

To Tell Her

They say "you don't know what you have until it's gone."
They say "life can change in a split second."
They say "tell those you care about how much you care before it is too late."
They are so right.
11 years ago I left Baie Comeau, Quebec on the great western adventure with my Aunt Mel, my Uncle John and their boys John and Andrew.
I was excited to leave Baie Comeau, I wanted to spread my wings and fly away from the comfort of the North Shore where I grew up.
I said goodbye to all my colleagues and friends. I was ready as I would ever be. Just one last thing, my friend and Executive Director, R, had invited me to have supper at a fancy restaurant. This would be our last meal together for a long time. There was so much I wanted to say to her. I wanted to thank her for the tireless hours she put in the North Shore Community Association. She had made my job, as president, so easy. I loved spending time with R, we would go to her beach house on weekends. We would raid her mother's garden, any chance we got. We loved to listen to music and dance around her house. She made me laugh and always knew what to say. I wanted to thank her, thank her for being my friend and thank her for letting me be hers.
I waited at the restaurant, that night, for an hour and a half past the time R should have arrived but she never came. I called my Mom, on my cell phone, and said "Mom, how long should I wait?"
"It's ok, Jan", she said" something must have come up. You can talk to R tomorrow." I left that restaurant knowing full well that I would be leaving the very next day for Alberta.
I have been back to the North Shore on many occasions in the last 11 years but I was never able to see R again. I would enquire as to how she was doing and get news here and there, but I never had that chance to sit down with her. I never gave up hope that someday I would be able to see her.
Tonight, I heard from an old friend that R passed away yesterday. I never will get a chance to sit with her, not in this world. I wish I had just one more day, to tell her....
I love you, Renae. You are now and always have been a beautiful angel.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you loud and clear. We always think we will have time but time is never ours. It is borrowed and we never know when the Creator will call us home. You can be sure Renae knows how you feel and her soul is free now. She went through so much and her journey up the mountain was not easy by a long shot...but then whose ever is? Thanks for sending me the link to your blog, Jan. I will remember your words.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on any post on 4healingheartsandminds