Mountains

Mountains
Climb any mountain

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

responding to a Mom who has just given birth to a still born child

I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy to go through the loss of child. So many will tell you that they understand and you will want to scream! How could anyone understand without having lived it?
I have lived your horror. I know what you are going through. I am feeling my own pain all over again. Even though 21 years have passed, I weep for the loss of your son and mine.
I still imagine what Shane might look like. He died at 21 weeks gestation. I had to give birth as you did to a baby that had not survived. Crushing to me was over hearing one nurse say to another "he looked so healthy and perfect, if only he could have made it." Yes, if only my son had been born on April 28th instead of that day being the horrible day of his death.
Now at 38, I have step-children and grand-babies. I wish to give you courage.  You must indeed grieve the loss of your son. I know that you will survive, I did. You have a loving family to support you.
Down the road you may want to commemorate your son. I called Shane my guardian angel because his death though terrible, in a sense allowed me to continue my education and become the person I am today. 20 years after his death I had a guardian angel tattooed on my ankle. I see my angel every day in my heart and in my mind, but now he makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any post on 4healingheartsandminds